Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good bye, 2009... You will NOT be missed!!!

A year is coming to an end, with today being the last day of 2009. Not a lot had happened since the year had been spent in Melbourne struggling with my studies. Will just do a summary of the major happenings of 2009.

Celebrated my birthday and our first Valentine's Day with my Darling. Absolutely memorable experience!
My first birthday with my Darling!

My first Valentine's gift!

Travelled to Melbourne for the commencement of my third year of studies in Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology). Stayed with ZQ for the entire 2 semesters. First semester was spent in Unilodge, which was a disaster. Our neighbors were Koreans and I highly suspected that they are from North Korean due to their unfriendliness. They slammed the door on us in the kitchen and blasted girlie Korean pop music in the early hours of weekends. Next was my laboratory mate, Flavia. I don't know how someone like her can graduate from Unimelb. A total disgrace for this institution. Her classics? She asked me how I know the volume in a pipette is 12 uL when it has been set to pick up 12 uL of liquid. She also asked me whether it was substrate or enzyme that got degraded in a substrate-enzyme reaction. Third year student... Good griefs...
My first Australian sunrise.

My first lunch done up by ZQ.

Second semester, ZQ and I moved into a 2-bedroom apartment. We rented one room to a China boy. Mistake. Out of the 4 months together, he only went to the market twice with us. Other times, his excuses were that he's got soccer matches or project discussions with his project mates. His classics. 1) 政权,面包没了。2) He can come into the kitchen without offering help to prepare diner. Then he can have the cheek to come in again and say he's hungry. And yet again, he can have the cheek to say to me to add more water to the rice because the rice is a bit dry. 3) He simmered or soaked chicken in UNDILUTED dark soy sauce and upon serving it, he said he forgot to add salt.
My new bedroom!

红烧鸡肉. Which is basically chicken in dark soy sauce. This is after 20 minutes of simmering, so you can imagine how much soy sauce went in at the start.

Got my Honours project with Dr. Danny Hatters doing Huntington disease, looking at protein aggregation and trafficking. Commencement date is Feb 2010. Hope to get that done as soon as possible as I totally dreaded Melbourne lifestyle.

Celebrated our 1 year anniversary. No fancy arrangement, just quality time with each other. Next up, 2010 Valentine's Day!
My Darling with her Limited Edition Diana F+ Moma.

No comments: