Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Week In Melbourne

Time flies, and I hope it flies faster so I can be back. Not that I am home sick. But the weather here is insanely unpredictable. It can be cold like 18-19 degrees Celsius and the next moment, temperature soars up to about 30+ degree Celsius.

This week has been a roller coaster ride. First, my subjects. Initially, I couldn't get my subjects to fit in nicely into my time table and I get plenty of clashes. But after a clarification email from one of the subject coordinators of Advanced Techniques in Molecular Science, I can choose 1 out of the 3 practical sessions. This made my time table look so much easier to fit the rest of the subjects.

I just joined the Photography Club. The club is known as Fotoholics and has a few Singaporeans in it. (I wonder why do I meet Singaporeans so often here in Melbourne...) The club made a pretty cool (and cheap!) card for me. Will upload the picture of the card later tonight. 



Thought of joining other clubs, but I am afraid of the time commitment I need to set aside for such activities. I have very much wanted to join the snowboarding and the anime-watching club. But I thought the high cost of starting the snowboarding activity might set me back a couple of hundred bucks back. As for the anime-watching club, I'm better of watching free animes online than pay a membership fee... Everything in Melbourne is all about cost savings...

People here can sit almost anywhere and everywhere... Pavements, grass patches, benches, roof tops, hallways, corners etc... You name it, they can sit on it. Don't they realise there might be bird shits, bugs, ants and other nasty stuff on these places? Girls in short skirts or low cut tops can sit and expose almost anything you can imagine of... Insane...


There's going to be a party diner at Unilodge tonight, so I'll be expecting free food... Hope to snap some nice photos and post them online, maybe tonight or tomorrow...


*Updates*
Whenever Australians mention BBQ, please don't expect chicken wings, satay, fish and chicken fillets, fishballs, marshmallows or beer. What you are going to get are just hotdogs wrapped in bread. We went to the Science Student Society "free BBQ" and we had 2 of these. Then at the Unilodge BBQ, we had the same thing too!!! Four of these to be exact! So 2 x (hotdog+bread) for lunch and 4 x (hotdog+bread) for dinner. So I will be prepared if I am invited to BBQ here again in Melbourne.

Need to get a track suit so that I can jog at night. Will be going down to Docklands to get that cheap AUD$50 New Balance track suit. Need another pair of cotton track pants so I can sleep better in the cold night. My legs are freezing from the cold and think blanket. Hopefully I can find a good deal for a good blanket at Docklands tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: