Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Updates

Finally, my subjects are all done... What a relief... The past few days have been torturous due to the clashes in time table between the different subjects, especially the Advanced Techniques in Molecular Science. After the coordinator sent an email asking me to select one out of three days. After which, everything becomes so much easier... So my time table is all done...


Went for the orientation today. It is so much different from those of Singapore universities. No stupid games, no flag days and no donations. We just get into an orientation group and the group leader will bring us around to show us the different theatres and eateries around the campus. Pretty informative and useful for new students. 

The feeling of being in Melbourne is not as daunting as I have expected. The high percentage of Asians here pretty much resemble that of Singapore, maybe just a little bit more Caucasians. That is why I don't feel foreign at all. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing... Made a few friends here in Unilodge. A Guangzhou guy, an Indonesian guy, a Malaysian guy, a Taiwanese and a New Yorker. So from the percentage of my friends, you can see why I don't feel foreign. 

Tomorrow will be my second day of orientation. Tomorrow should be just talking about academic and enrollment stuff. Hopefully don't take up a lot of my time. Everything here is money, money and MORE MONEY!!! To use the gymnasium or swimming pool, you have to be a member of the sports society. Being a member for a semester costs AUD$210!!! FOR ONLY A SEMESTER!!! And to join the Student Union, you have to pay AUD$99 per year. Being a member of the Student Union will entitle you to weekly BBQs, discount food and coffee, usage of a recreation library and up and coming activities. Practical manuals have to be bought at AUD$20. So you can imagine how expensive things can get here... Per meal if you eat out will be about AUD$7-AUD$15. So cooking your own meals is definitely an invaluable skill. So I guess I won't be going to the gym or pool anymore. I'd just stick to the standard jogging, pushups, sit-ups and burpies. Maybe I might just join the Photography club or the Weekly Watchers of Wonderful Anime club. Yes, they have many interesting clubs and societies here... Learn from overseas universities, Singapore!!!

No comments: