Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Updates - May 2008

Been some time since I got time to sit in front of my computer to blog. I always have plenty of stuff going in my mind, just that my fingers are not fast enough to type them down. Also, the availability of a computer or laptop is a problem. My mind simply thinks too fast with too many things.

Work has gotten busy. For 2 straight Fridays, I have worked till 7pm, which is a very late timing for me. Friday is meant to leave at 4.30pm for sports hour, which I haven't been able to go due to my hectic schedule. One thing that can keep me going is the possibility of an overseas conference. Christelle has sourced for quite a number of conferences which she is interested in attending. I am mostly fine with the conferences she found, but some places are simply too isolated from the world for us to go. Take for instance, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. The "Travel Information" section states this:

From New York City (NYC): The Long Island Rail Road runs between Penn Station in Manhattan and points east on Long Island. To get to CSHL from Penn Station or Jamaica, take the train to Syosset station on the Huntington/Port Jefferson Line. Taxis usually meet arriving trains at Syosset station. Taxis are NOT normally available at Cold Spring Harbor station. Syosset Taxi (516 921-2141)
Metropolitan Transportation Authority Links

From NYC Airports: [Note: We do not recommend Newark (in New Jersey) because of the long travel time to and from the Laboratory]. JFK and LaGuardia are located 45-90 min travel time depending on Long Island traffic (which can be bad!). Islip Airport is located on Long Island approximately 40-60 min away.

The JFK Airtrain runs between JFK airport and Jamaica in Queens/NYC, and connects with the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Syosset (Port Jefferson line).

Car Services from JFK and LaGuardia:
Syosset Limousine Service (SLS): (516) 364-9681; Syossetlimo@aol.com (servicing CSHL since 1989)
*Three day advance reservation required.*
SLS operates non-stop hourly shuttle service from JFK & LGA on the first day of larger CSHL meetings as well as shared rides to the airport on the last day of the meeting.
$90.00 for 1 person / $45.00 pp for 2 / $40.00 pp for 3 or more [Gratuities included]
SLS also provides transportation to and from Islip Airport, Manhattan and the tri-state area.

How the hell are we going to get there anyway? So, will source for other conferences to attend, which gives me the opportunity to travel to either Europe or USA. Hehehe~ Shopping time, I guess...

GD gave his birthday treat at a steamboat buffet restaurant opposite The Concourse. Finally, we managed to get QY to attend this diner after she missed Elaine and my birthday diner. So you can guess our delight at her presence. Here's the collection of photos we took at the restaurant:

Another update is my trip to Hong Kong. I've booked the package with Zuji, so awaiting their confirmation. Should be from 5 - 10 July 2008. Going with Christelle and Soo Tin. Both of them are my colleagues and NOT my girlfriend!!! I must emphasize!!! They're just good colleagues of mine who want to join me in the summer sale. We'll be staying in a 3-room suite, so there will be NO room sharing, just in case any of you out there are reading this and thinking of all the wrong images! But I'm pretty glad they're going because it will be lots of fun shopping and eating. Hopefully I can buy what I want within my budget.

Another agenda for me to go for this Hong Kong trip is to visit my Grand-uncle and Grand-auntie. I promised them I will be visiting them this year, so I have to fulfill my promise.

No comments: