Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Ok, I haven't been updating this regularly enough. Guess too many things have happened within too short a period of time. Just some major updates. Went to Pangkor Island with my BMT buddy, CJ during the Good Friday long weekend. Also took the time-off during the trip to think about my future. Will update that later in this post. Right now, enjoy the pictures (which I painstakingly collage and I know I ain't very good with PhotoShop):




The bus trip from Singapore to Lumut is about 8 hours. The boat ride is about 30 minutes from Lumut to Pangkor Island. Pangkor town is really very laid back and simple, a little like those 1980s Singapore. However, not all the stuff there are as cheap as you might think. Some of the items are almost Singapore prices. But the food is an exception. The quality and quantity of the food we ordered are not something you can find in Singapore. For slightly less than S$20, we got a plate of fried noodles, roast chicken rice, half a Hainanese kampung chicken and drinks. The soup that comes with the chicken rice is heavenly! There're herbs inside and the taste is just pure goodness! The breakfasts and diners provided by the resort are pretty decent.

Pangkor Island is pretty much a slow place. The sand by the beach is so fine that it just seeps through your hands. The scenery is beautiful with the horizon welcoming you every morning and evening. The sun, sand, sea and beach are all in sync to provide you a warm, comfortable and relaxing stay for the weekend.

Took the trip to really think about whether I want to apply for my company's scholarship. Finally decided that 4 years ain't too long a time with my company if I do decide to switch career later in life. 4 years are just nice for me to complete at least 2 projects to add to my profile. Also, I hope to establish the Biacore instrument which I am put in charge right now into a facility so that its vast potential can be realised. Seriously, I am beginning to get the hang of this instrument and I am being tasked to present this instrument during the Researchers' Forum held by my division. Yes, it is an honour to present in front of the Director and senior researchers. According to my Lab Head, I will be the first non-MTS personnel to present in the forum.

Hence, I would really like to let the rest of the division know about this instrument so that I can also take the opportunity to learn more. Hopefully I can be invited to do a Honours project during my university days and most importantly, utilize the Biacore instrument for my project. This is my wish. =)

1 comment:

Psyclist said...

Hi

Excellent post! I would like to invite you to write a story for our Pulau Pangkor website www.pulau-pangkor.com .

We would love to publish your experiences. If you like, please do so at
http://www.pulau-pangkor.com/pangkor-stories.html#If


Best regards

Peter
www.pulau-pangkor.com