Thursday, January 3, 2008

Friendship

Read GD's blog yesterday and thought of my own relationship within GD&Co. Apparently, the East Chamber is having an internal conflict on maintaining their friendship. From his blog, it seems like GD is the only one linking all the members of East Chamber. If not for him, they will most probably end up like pearls without a chain.

Looking at my own group, which consists of GD, Elaine, Gwen, QY and I, I realised that our group should be easier to manage since we are a smaller group. But I soon found that it is not that simple. Out onto the society, we tend to be caught up in the vicious cycle of losing ourselves to the cold hard reality. We are driven by fame, grades and money that we soon forget our true identity. We become slaves of work, losing our need for a warm touch. Hearts soon turn to steel, cold and hard. We start to lose every bit of feelings, emotions and a sense of belonging.

I know GD is trying hard to maintain the East Chamber and also my group. Kudos to him for the effort. I really appreciate what he has done for my group, despite his constant defence of the self-proclaimed outcast. I really treasure those Saturdays and Sundays where I will cycle to his house in the morning to meet up for a short jog and breakfast. No doubt I may have to drag myself out of bed at 7am, but I guess it was worth the effort. I believe that there is no barrier in a friendship. You just have to give and take all the time. You don't get to do only one. This is no longer friendship. Sacrifice and Gain are part of a Friendship. If you don't even bother to make an effort to maintain a friendship with your friends, you will soon lose touch with them and become a total stranger.

I always believe that maintaining a friendship is a matter of whether you want to make the effort or not. Take my group for instance. We all try to accommodate a time when everyone is able to make it for a meal or just a drink together. Sometimes, it may mean sacrificing several hours of sleep or family time. I understand that to organise a diner or supper is tough work. But like what I wrote earlier, it is part of a friendship.

I don't know about those who desert their friends. I don't know about those who chose not to respond to their friends. I don't know about those who don't make an effort to maintain a friendship. But I do know one thing. I treasure all my friends

No comments: